You already know you need a good education, some decent work experience and a little charisma. But when you show up to an interview, you should really consider these small mistakes that could make all the difference.
- Don’t wear cologne/perfume. Just take a shower and show up clean. You never know when you’ll meet an interviewer who is allergic to cologne or has an overall aversion to strong smells.
- Don’t discuss religion or politics. Interviewers don’t need to know that you’ve accepted Jesus Christ as your lord and savior.
- Don’t mispronounce common words. “May I ax you a question?” “Sure, I’d like a glass of wudder please.”
- Don’t talk shit about previous employers. When they ask you why you’re leaving your current position, just say you’ve learned a great deal in your time there but you don’t think it’s a great fit for you. They don’t want to hear negativity.
- Don’t use curse words. You might think it sounds charming to say “shit” in an interview. Trust me – it’s not. Save that kind of language for the blogosphere.
And above all else, act like you’re happy to be there. And tell them you want the job.